I have never got on well with soaked chia seeds. They remind me of things like tapioca or rice pudding. Slimy!
However, knowing their benefits (see below) and always willing to give things a go, I thought I would experiment with a few recipes and then tailor my own. The result is on this page. This is a great dish to use pre or post workout.
The benefits of chia seeds are many:
- omega 3 oils
- anti-oxidants (these mop up free radicals released from process we use to make energy)
This recipe also has quinoa which as many of you already know is a seed, not a grain. This addition to the recipe adds another powerful protein punch! Here are the reasons to eat quinoa:
- high in protein
- low glycemic (aids in regulating blood sugar levels)
- high in fibre
In addition there is also greek yogurt to top off the protein. It’s benefits are:
- probiotics (good bacteria to populate your gut)
- Vitamin B12 (brain health, energy)
- potassium (needed as part of the process for energy production – read up on the sodium-potassium pump of cells)
Let’s get to the recipe!
Mix all of these together in a glass jar or container with a lid & pop in fridge overnight:
- 1 1/4 cup almond milk (or your choice)
- 3 TBSP chia seeds
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt
Option ingredients – Choose any similar ingredients of your choice:
- handful of berries
- 1 tsp cinnamon (great for blood sugar regulation)
- 1 TBSP maple syrup (leave out if you are staying low sugar)
Enjoy and send me your comments on Twitter or via email@example.com