Here is recipe for home made mayo from my Belgian father’s family.
“This is an old family recipe from my Dad’s Belgian roots. These aren’t exact quantities as you need to feel your way but it is a straight forward way to make healthy homemade mayo.
Ingredients & method:
- 2 egg yolks room temperature & 1 tsp of Dijon mustard (place in a bowl for mixing).
- Add a pinch of salt & pepper.
- Start mixing at high speed with a hand mixer
- Drip in a few drops of either good quality canola or olive oil. The former tends to make a bit thicker but go with your preference.
- At intervals keep dripping in drops of the oil until you see the mixture start to thicken up. At this point you can add more of the oil each time.
- Keep adding oil at the intervals until you have an amount of mayo you would like. I usually end up with about a cup or more.
- Right at the end pour in a splash (about 2 tbsp) of white vinegar. This gives you a little edge of taste.
Enjoy this with fish or other meats, crudités or on a salad. The French Canadians would have this with their home made French fries.”